Communications and Development Assistant
AHA Foundation is a 501(c)3 nonprofit working to liberate women and girls from practices that violate their human rights. That means liberty from female genital mutilation, honor violence, and child marriage. AHA Foundation was founded by women’s rights activist Ayaan Hirsi Ali in 2007.
Since 2010, the focus of the Foundation’s programs includes:
- Publishing reports and articles and organizing conferences about the dangers of Islamic extremism.
- Highlighting the continued oppression of women and girls in the US committed in the name of religion and culture.
- Lobbying and outreach to expand and strengthen state and national legislation for the protection of women and girls.
- Training of relevant frontline professionals including, child protection offices and social worker, law enforcement, school nurses and counsellors, medical professionals.
- Connecting women and girls in crisis to appropriate services.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Write compelling copy (long form and short form) for various audiences and channels (email, web, social media and direct mail). Proofread, and edit copy for external communications.
- Review and edit written material for accuracy including grammar/usage/punctuation, and provide corrections to ensure material is error free, readable, free from omissions, stylistically consistent, free from repetition, and formatted correctly.
- Collaborate on and create content using graphic design platforms and/or video production needs for digital media and internal content.
- Maintain a schedule for projects and ensure deadlines are met.
- Ensure that the written material reflects the correct tone for the subject matter, the readability for the designated audience, and voice of the organization.
- Manage social media channels, develop and execute engaging organic content and grow audiences on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Review databases for both individual and institutional donor prospects and draft letters of interest.
- Various administrative tasks necessary for the operation of the Foundation.
Professional strengths should include:
- Passionate about AHA Foundation’s mission
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills in the English language
- Mastery of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and usage with the ability to identify errors and make suggestions to strengthen content with target audience and messaging channel in mind
- Proven working experience as an editor (3+ writing samples)
- Computer literacy and working knowledge of Google Suite.
- Superb writing/editing/proofreading skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously under short deadlines
- Strong familiarity with social media channels and trends, like Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Journalism, Communications or other related degrees.
- 1+ years of experience conducting editorial and communications work
- Interest in women’s rights, specifically the issues female genital mutilation, honor violence, and child and forced marriage.
- Previous experience working in ConstantContact or another email platform
- Previous experience working in DonorPerfect, or other CRMs.
- Previous experience with graphic design including Canva, and/or Adobe Suite.
- Experience managing SEO/SEM, email, social media and/or display advertising campaigns preferred.
Please send application with an accompanying cover letter and two writing samples to [email protected].